Reading Time: 2 minutes
Q: If the Republicans don’t have the stomach for shutting down the government now, how will they have the stomach to take away insurance from millions of people in 2017?
Boehner, Cantor, and the House GOP leaders don’t want to use the continuing resolution to fight Obamacare. They’re afraid that doing so–even if they succeed–will cost them seats in 2014. They say the only solution is a full repeal. But that’s a dodge.
The House leaders know the Senate won’t consider a repeal bill if the House won’t go to the brink. The CR is the House’s only leverage. So Ann Wagner and John Boehner can pass all the repeal bills they want, nothing will happen.
And even if the GOP won the Senate in 2014, Obama would veto any repeal bill. And they won’t have a veto-proof majority in either house. And the Democrats would filibuster.
So Boehner’s strategy is to hope the GOP wins the House, the Senate, and the White House in 2016. But the GOP won’t have the guts to repeal Obamacare then, either.
- The GOP majority and President won’t take their seats until January 2017.
- They won’t be able to craft a repeal bill until March or April at the earliest.
- By that time, millions of Americans will have signed up for Obamacare insurance plans.
- The press will echo the Democrats in howling that 20 million formerly uninsured Americans who have gotten insurance under Obamacare will be thrown out into the street if Republicans repeal the law.
- The Republicans will then look ahead to 2018 and 2020 and tell us, “if we repeal Obamacare now, we’ll lose the next election.”
That’s why there’s no tomorrow on this thing. Ask Ann Wagner to commit to defunding Obamacare by signing the Meadows letter. Ask Roy Blunt to sign the Mike Lee letter in the Senate. You are their courage.
Republicans who lack the courage to do the right thing now won’t get a medal for courage from The Wizard in 2017. They won’t.
Right now Republicans in the House have all the power they need to force Obama and the Democrats to the bargaining table. If they don’t use it now, we will need to find new leaders who have the stomach for the tough fight.