We All Need a Drink
April 15, 2015
Ever come across a text you know, but forgot? I did recently. This gem of a paragraph leapt off the page and into my mind: I believe this nation hungers for a spiritual revival; hungers to once again see honor placed above political expediency; to see government once again the protector of our liberties, not the distributor of gifts and privilege. Government should uphold and not undermine those institutions which are custodians of the very values upon which civilization is founded – Faith, education and, above all, family.
Which Two Industries Suck Most at Customer Service?
March 10, 2015
Want to know why Net Neutrality is dangerous? Forget the Constitutional stuff. That’s important, but most people don’t care. Seriously. As soon as you mention the Constitution or mercantilism, the 99% walk away. And the remaining 1% already agree with you. No, the way to scare people about Net Neutrality is this chart from Statista: You will find more statistics at Statista The only thing worse than Comcast’s customer service?
Which Barack Obama is Right?
September 19, 2012
A genius is someone who can hold contrary concepts simultaneously in mind. What, then, do we call a person who simultaneously argues two contrary concepts? How ‘bout “demagogue?” A few weeks ago, Barack Obama told America’s business owners that they are not responsible for their success. “Someone else built that.” Today, the same Obama told Mitt Romney that there not many people who consider themselves victims. Does Mr. Obama believe that people in dire straights are not victims of circumstances?
Meet the GSA's 8th Grade Minds That Run Your Life
April 21, 2012
There are two kinds of people in America: those who grow up to become productive adults, and those who become bureaucrats. The GSA scandal lit up the 3 Stooges mentality of the “men and women” who would run every aspect of your life if Obama and his czars get their way. Jeff Neely’s the guy Thomas Jefferson had in mind when wrote: He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance.
NYT Describes Mayhem of “Taxmageddon”, And It Will Scare You Sick
April 19, 2012
What the hell’s going on at NYT? First, they do a piece on Andrew Breitbart. Then they warn the world that Taxmageddon will crush the world in 2013, beginning with the USA. Here’s how Business Insider summarized the David Leohardt article: Basically, with no changes to current law, taxes will rise for everyone, and after tax, inflation-adjusted income for the average American will drop to 1998 levels. Read more: https://www.
What Makes Us Happy?
February 21, 2012
Marc, at Bad Catholic, rocks. In this post on Obama’s continuing jihad against Christianity, he answers a burning question: did human happiness exist before artificial contraception? Put another way, is chemical birth control a natural state of humanity? Before you answer, read the post. Think about it.
How Government Growth Creates Scrooges
December 27, 2011
Scrooge’s nephew left the office and let in two men in the process. They came to ask for a donation for London’s poor. “At this festive season of the year, Mr. Scrooge,” said the gentleman, taking up a pen, “it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir.
Jefferson on Debt
July 12, 2011
With the debt ceiling negotiations closing in, it’s worth looking to Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson was very opposed to federal government borrowing. (He was less concerned with states borrowing.) What I love about the quote below is Jefferson’s concern for leisure time. “To preserve [the] independence [of the people,] we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our election between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude.
Separation of Press and State
December 9, 2009
Borrowing liberally from Americans United for Separation of Church and State, let’s adopt this manifesto of our resolve to keep the government from taking over (via voluntary non-profit status) the free press in the United States: Americans have more publishing freedom than any people in world history. We can choose what to read; what to teach our children; how, where and when to write; which causes to give money to; or even whether we want to get involved with the news at all.